Author Topic: Chapter 681  (Read 1088 times)

Tyr

• View Profile
Chapter 681
« on: June 04, 2021, 12:30:48 am »
I didn't love this chapter at first.  It seemed a bit easy.

But then I got to thinking...

At first, it was just Shin on a horse, kyoukai the assassin, and a bunch of tough-ass peasants, doing things no other unit would think to do, always taking the hardest route because they had to. So, this is less of a cop out than, them going back to basics...

And, since Shin is at this point the hero of all the peasants in Qin who want to join the army, and, most of the population was peasantry, it makes sense that they would have gotten really strong candidates.  And that the infantry would be stronger than any opponents would figure possible. 

Especially because, if you think about it, most armies are built around 'elites,' which tend to be cavalry.  The infantry is seen like 'pawns,' pieces to send out early, to sacrifice, lines that hold or fold, but not the strong ones, not the ones who win battles. 

Sometimes I think I'm thinking myself into liking kingdom as much as I do, lol.  But, I do love it, and, in the end, I feel like the point of this battle is to remind us that the secret strength of Hi Shin is that it retains the character of Shin and the original members.  Guys who worked their way up from nothing, not because they were the best trained or the best armed, but, because they had iron wills and strong backs.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 12:33:03 am by Tyr »

JAC

• <]8^)†(^8[>
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter 681
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2021, 07:10:14 pm »
Yeah, almost to easy. The thought never even occurred to me so I had a tough time imagining the HSU could pull off something like this. I’ve gone Bouldering and believe me it ain’t easy it puts a lot of stress on the upper body - so much - it’s taxing on so many levels. Still, this is a big feat and demonstrates the HSU is more well-rounded compared to Ou Hon’s unit but we can’t ignore that this cliff isn’t just near-vertical, it hangs, making the climb a real challenge. I figure anyone who does make it to the top is likely to be spent or pass out from exhaustion ahem, Bi Hei.

Jeorgie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2021, 11:26:29 pm »
Nah man…

If plot devices are anything the “regs” forded a rushing river then scaled a cliff and still managed to put up some fight in Koko forest…now you’ve got like the “actually hand picked” lot, I’d expect them to fight for a day and half after the climbing performance - that was just a warm up :)

Tyr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2021, 07:04:08 pm »
Ha, yeah, climbing an inverted cliff with armor and weapons, well, heck its a manga.  but... ya.

I'm not a huge fan of the phrase 'plot armor,' because, the whole point of being a good storyteller is to try and make it make sense that your heroes face impossible odds and live.

That said, no one personifies 'plot armor' like Bihei!  the man who is both shin's hometown buddy and kingdom's comic relief guy. 

May he live forever.  (he will)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal