Recruitment > Guides and Training

Redrawing 101

(1/1)

Xyros:
1. Introduction

In this tutorial I’ll try to explain the basics of redrawing with my methods.
There are plenty of other ways to go about it and it wouldn't hurt if you tried looking up other tutorials.

The tool we use is Photoshop, which I suggest you buy it, if you can afford it. If not there's always the alternate way of acquiring it.
You don't need a tablet for redrawing and you don't have to be artistically talented to be good at it.

Download Practice pages

First off, a redrawer’s job is to:

* redraw the art which is overlayed by the text
(click to show/hide)
* fill in the void between a doublepage
(click to show/hide)
2. Process

When I start redrawing I usually create 3-4 empty layers and each of these layers represent a step as seen here:
(click to show/hide)
    Step 1: Brush the text with a white brush on the first layer.
    Step 2: Draw the outline. This is the groundwork of the redraw. BEWARE that this layer is placed above the layer from step 3!
    Step 3: Fill in the patterns. It is often required to create a pattern template on a separate layer, which is then used as a source for your redraw.
    Step 4: Draw details. On this layer you try to make your redraw look as similar as possible to the art style of the manga. With series like Kingdom there’s usually all kinds of black lines, black or white
:                specks of dust, etc.

By the way you are not limited to only 4 layers, you can have as many as you like so long as you place them in the right order!

Here's how my layers are arranged in the menu:

Here's the psd file: Redraw.psd

And that’s the basics!

3. Essential tools/features you need to learn:

Clone stamp tool
(click to show/hide)The clone stamp tool is a great tool used by many redrawers to copy one area of an image onto another area. It's mostly used for expanding patterns and joining spreads.
Some redraws can be done solely with the help of this tool. However it shouldn't be used carelessly, as it might not look genuine.
Before using the clone stamp tool make sure that you set the settings accordingly:

To use the clone stamp tool you must:

* set the area of origin you want to clone by holding Alt+Right Mouse Button,

* then press the Left Mouse Button to apply the brush where you need to.Make sure you're careful when cloning patterns so that the original patterns and the cloned patterns match nicely. If you need more patterned area, just repeat the drill.

Creating a pattern template by cloning:

Something very useful to know is that once you apply the cloned area onto a layer, the tool will lock on that position. So if you undo the cloning, the tool will still remember where you last applied the cloned area.
This is useful when you can't allign the patterns without overlaying the surrounding art. So to solve this problem you first allign and apply the cloned area,
then undo and reduce the size of the cloning tool's brush. This allows for more precise cloning. See gif below:

Layer Masks
(click to show/hide)Masks are a great feature in photoshop, because you can always add or reduce the area that you need without losing the original image. I often use it to hide parts of an image when redrawing.
Here's an example of using a layer mask:

Different ways to create a mask:

If you want to hide parts of an image, create a mask and brush over that area with a black brush. If you want to recover that area back, brush the area with a white brush.
Another useful tip, by changing the brush opacity, you don't hide/recover the brushed part completely, but instead make it transparent.

With the help of the Gradient tool you can mask a layer so that you get a nice transition from transparent to opaque.
Example:

Burn/Dodge tool
(click to show/hide)There are times when patterns transition from bright to dark and that's when you have to use the burn tool and dodge tool to make that transition as smooth as possible.
Example:

Before using the burn/dodge tool make sure that you set the settings accordingly:

I usually set the opacity at 2-4%. A useful tip: instead of switching between the tools, you can just hold alt while brushing.

Pen tool
(click to show/hide) The pen tool is great for drawing lines because it's very flexible and easy to use. It can be also used to fill the shape you created with the color of your choosing.
Before using the pen tool make sure that you set the settings accordingly:

To create a straight line simply select the tool and press the left mouse button where you want your line to begin and where to end.

To create a curved line you create a straight line, then add an anchor point and move it while holding CTRL.

To create a curved line that curves up and then down add an anchor point and move the handles instead of the anchor point.

To actually draw the line/fill the shape simply click the right mouse button and select stroke path/fill path. Width of the line is determined by the stroke setting of the brush tool.

Watch this video to see how cloning and masking is done.

I highly recommend you check out this tutorial made by Rain from Red Hawk Scans. It's one of the best redrawing tutorials out there.
(click to show/hide)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version