Author Topic: Redrawing 101  (Read 103849 times)

Xyros

• Recruitment Moderator
    • View Profile
Redrawing 101
« on: August 12, 2018, 03:35:39 am »
1. Introduction

In this tutorial I’ll try to explain the basics of redrawing with my methods.
There are plenty of other ways to go about it and it wouldn't hurt if you tried looking up other tutorials.

The tool we use is Photoshop, which I suggest you buy it, if you can afford it. If not there's always the alternate way of acquiring it.
You don't need a tablet for redrawing and you don't have to be artistically talented to be good at it.

Download Practice pages

First off, a redrawer’s job is to:
  • redraw the art which is overlayed by the text
    (click to show/hide)
  • fill in the void between a doublepage
    (click to show/hide)

2. Process

When I start redrawing I usually create 3-4 empty layers and each of these layers represent a step as seen here:
(click to show/hide)

Step 1: Brush the text with a white brush on the first layer.
    Step 2: Draw the outline. This is the groundwork of the redraw. BEWARE that this layer is placed above the layer from step 3!
    Step 3: Fill in the patterns. It is often required to create a pattern template on a separate layer, which is then used as a source for your redraw.
    Step 4: Draw details. On this layer you try to make your redraw look as similar as possible to the art style of the manga. With series like Kingdom there’s usually all kinds of black lines, black or white
:                specks of dust, etc.

By the way you are not limited to only 4 layers, you can have as many as you like so long as you place them in the right order!

Here's how my layers are arranged in the menu:

Here's the psd file: Redraw.psd

And that’s the basics!

3. Essential tools/features you need to learn:

Clone stamp tool
(click to show/hide)

Layer Masks
(click to show/hide)

Burn/Dodge tool
(click to show/hide)

Pen tool
(click to show/hide)

Watch this video to see how cloning and masking is done.

I highly recommend you check out this tutorial made by Rain from Red Hawk Scans. It's one of the best redrawing tutorials out there.
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 11:57:00 am by Xyros »